Thinking of Filing for a Tax Extension? You Need to Know the Following

Edward Goldstein |

Unlike the summer family reunion and work meetings, you can always count on a few specific dates every year. Days like birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, and Tax Day. But even if April 18th is hardwired into your brain and calendar, sometimes it makes more sense to file for an extension instead of the tax deadline.

Here are a few things to consider if you’re thinking about filing for a tax extension.

Gather Your Papers

Compiling tax documents and necessary information can be tedious, especially if you’re a freelancer or run your own business. If you have a lot of paperwork to compile, had documentation arrive late, or have just had a lot of personal changes in the last tax year, you may want to give yourself a few extra months to file.

If you aren’t able to fill out your taxes in their entirety by April 18th, be sure to file IRS tax form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time, to extend your deadline up to six months. For individuals, you can file this form online through the IRS Free File portal.

IRS Tax Penalties May Still Apply

You’re already paying taxes. Do you want to pay the government more because you missed the tax deadline? Even if you have a valid reason, missing the deadline can cost you. If you file late, be prepared to pay up to 5% of the taxes due for every month your taxes are late, up to a maximum of 25%. If you get your paperwork 60 days after the due date, you’ll face a penalty of all your unpaid taxes or $435, whichever is smaller.

Consult a Tax Professional

The IRS has a lot of rules and regulations that affect how much you owe in taxes. It is important to understand these complexities and to help reduce the taxes you owe.

Just remember that an extension doesn’t exclude you from paying taxes. If you do file for an extension, you have a couple of options:

  • Pay the estimated taxes you owe by the tax deadline.
  • File and not pay until your later due date.

It’s recommended that you pay by the deadline so you avoid interest and penalty percent on underpayments for every month you’re late. Your current documentation and last year’s documents will give you an idea of what you owe, but if you have questions or need guidance, talk to a tax professional.

As a Comprehensive Financial Planner, I can help you navigate these potential traps by being more proactive and coordinating to maximize tax-saving opportunities. 

Edward C. Goldstein, CFP®, MBA, President
Financial Life Planning, LLC
10,000 Lincoln Dr. East, Suite 201
Marlton, NJ  08053
Phone: 856-988-5480
Fax: 908-292-1040

This content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information. The information provided is not written or intended as tax or legal advice and may not be relied on for purposes of avoiding any Federal tax penalties. Individuals are encouraged to seek advice from their own tax or legal counsel. Individuals involved in the estate planning process should work with an estate planning team, including their own personal legal or tax counsel. Neither the information presented nor any opinion expressed constitutes a representation by us of a specific investment or the purchase or sale of any securities. Asset allocation and diversification do not ensure a profit or protect against loss in declining markets. This material was developed and produced by Advisor Websites to provide information on a topic that may be of interest.